This year was a little different... The Pie & Pint has traditionally been a showcase of the latest and greatest that Ability have to offer. However, given the number of game-changing developments currently in progress, we’re going to hold a bigger event in 2018 to present this next generation of Fan Coil Units and Control systems.

The exact dates will be posted as soon as they are known...

World Projects

Variable Speed AC to EC Upgrade

Only with Ability can you have a demand dependant, variable speed EC motor upgrade. Make your old fan coils, however old and from any manufacturer, as efficient as any brand new fan coil you could buy today - The Ability VAV Refit

When refurbishing a fan coil, the largest efficiency gains are achieved by changing to EC type motors which use half the power of their AC predecessors. However, the power consumption of an EC motor is not a linear relationship to air volume meaning that even small further reductions in air volume will provide further significant savings - The Ability VAV Refit

VAV FCU Control Ability

The Ability VAV Fan Speed Controller

How Does it Work?

Leaving all your exiting BMS controls in place, we use a small additional control that continually evaluates the difference between the air entering the unit and the air leaving the unit.

So, while the units is at or close to set-point with the valves closed, the fans will run at a setback speed because there will be minimal temperature difference across the unit. Only when cooling or heating is actually required, and so a temperature difference builds, do the fans speed up in line with the demand.

This new control is not connected to and has no effect on the existing BMS controller within the unit.

Quieter Units

This 'Set Back' reduction in air volume will inevitably reduce the noise from your fan coils but still maintain the power to deliver the duties required at all times.

Increased Fan and Motor Life

As the fans are on average running slower, there is less 'Wear and Tear' on the motor bearings meaning they will last longer than a fixed speed EC installation.

Longer Service Intervals

By not drawing so much air through the fan coil filter you will extend its overall life and the time between cleaning or replacements.

The Economics

An AC to EC upgrade will reduce the electrical consumption of any fan coil by around 50%. Adding an Ability VAV system will save (at full set back) another 30% bringing the overall saving to 80%. However, 'Real Life' tests have shown that a VAV fan coil will spend most of it's life between the design speed and full setback therefore the saving will be on average around 65% - AC compared to VAV EC.